My heartfelt thanks to each of you who have shared with me your prayerful longing to see our church filled with the lifegiving sounds of children! So many of you have expressed your support and willingness to get involved and help see this dream come to life once again.
As we have studied and prayed, we have observed that we have far more children in the building during our worship hours on Sunday morning than in our traditional “Sunday School hour.” With that in mind we are working on a new schedule for Sunday mornings this fall.
Our Traditional Worship service would be from 9-10am. We would then have a half-hour of coffee and conversation from 10-10:30am. Our Contemporary Worship service would be from 10:30-11:30am.
Here are a few more details of how this might work:
- Each of these two Sunday morning worship services would begin with the whole family together in worship. Just before the message, our children would be excused for Journey Kids in our newly renovated space on the upper level of the current education wing. Journey Kids would be offered for both services.
- Since there will be no stand-alone Sunday School hour in between the worship services, we will offer our adult Journey Group Sunday classes during both services. The good news is that this allows us to maximize space, using available classrooms twice on Sunday mornings. The challenge is that each class will now have to choose their primary worship service.
- Some classes may choose to attend the Traditional Worship service at 9am so that they can have their class at 10:30am.
- Other classes may choose to attend the Contemporary Worship service at 10:30am so that they can have their class at 9am.
- For families who engage in both worship service times, we will be offering Club Journey Kids—a fun place for kids whose parents have chosen to participate in an adult Journey Group or service opportunity during that particular service time. Club Journey Kids will also be available at both service times so that we can care for all our families!
Why the change? We want to, once again, be a church that is bursting at the seams with the life-giving sounds of children. We want to, once again, be a church filled with young families. We want to, once again, be a church where our children wake up with such excitement that they don’t want to miss a Sunday.
Imagine with me a church full of children whose hearts have been captured with a desire to look, live, and love like Jesus. Imagine with me a church where families worship together and then children are allowed to enter into Journey Kids where they learn to know and apply words of love and hope. Imagine with me a church—our church, this church—making disciples of all families and all of the family!
We will be sharing more information as we get closer to the Fall Kick-off! Thank you for your prayers. Please feel free to let me know if you have any question or suggestions.