We are off to a great start since kickoff Sunday! I want to highlight some of our children’s ministries happening at Pearce. First, an important item I need from all parents is the “Pearce Kids’ Ministry Registration Form,” pictured above. These forms are used for emergency contact information and updated emails and phone numbers. They let me know which ministry programs your child is a part of, information on allergies, and provide a place to give permission for a picture of your child to appear on Pearce-related material. If you need one, please let me know. Just hand completed forms to me. Thanks! It is greatly appreciated.
I am thankful for yet another great team of Sunday school teachers this year. The pre-school curriculum this year is called “Growing with God.” The curriculum is published by Gospel Light. They have a three-step teaching method that includes play, listening, and talking. It is full of fun activities that lead each child to engage in God’s Word at their level.
Our curriculum for K-6th grade is “Bible-in-Life” by David C. Cook. There are three themes covered from September-November: “Good and Bad Choices,” “Taking a Stand for God,” and “Following Wisdom.” The kids are learning these themes through stories out of 1 & 2 Samuel, Psalms, Matthew, and Hebrews.
Please ask your kids to share with you what they are learning each week in Sunday school.
Camp Wednesday and Collide 56
Several years ago, I had some meetings with a team of parents about what Wednesday nights should look like. The idea has continued to grow, and we are very excited about what is happening here at Pearce for our kids on Wednesday nights. Where our Sunday school time follows a more “academic” form, our Wednesday nights are set up to be a time where our kids can come together for fellowship. The K-4th group, Camp Wednesday, meets in Parmerter Chapel. The first hour consists of games and fun crafts. At 7:30, we settle around a fake campfire to sing camp songs and hear a story related to our theme. The theme for the fall is the Fruit of the Spirit, from Galatians 5:22 &23.
Collide 56, our 5th and 6th grade group, meet downstairs in the Fellowship Hall. There, they are led by Dave Mantegna and his team. They talk, pray together, have a craft option, and/or games.
Fall Into Fun
Save the date—October 31. Pearce Kids’ Ministry and P4K are, once again, sponsoring this night together. This has become a fun tradition for Pearce on Halloween night. It will be held in our FLC from 6:30-8pm. We will have three bounce houses (one just for preschoolers), games and prizes, a craft center, snacks and an allergy-friendly food center, and candy!!
It is a great night for families to come and go, or stay the whole time.
If you have any questions about the ministries happening for kids at Pearce, please contact me: text, email, or say, “Hey, Pastor Kathy, can we chat?”
VBS Jungle Safari 2014 was a fantastic week at Pearce! I want to thank all of you who volunteered, gave, and prayed. Your servant hearts made the week a great success! I want to share a bit of what I have heard through the grapevine here at church. A Pearce mom shared with me how pleased one parent was that her kids came home every day telling her not only how much fun they had, but what they actually had learned about God. Another mom was overheard saying, “This is the best program I’ve ever seen.” Fourteen of our 5th and 6th graders indicated they received Jesus in their heart for the very first time. In reading the kids’ response cards this year, so many expressed their love for Jesus and their desire to follow Him. The written prayers are precious to read. Please continue to pray for the kids who came to VBS, that they would carry with them all that they have learned and be encouraged by the friends they have here at Pearce. Thank you again for another year of VBS that touched the hearts of many kids and glorified God!
I am excited to say that our Sunday school and Wednesday night programs will start before you know it—please be praying! I am in need of many teachers and helpers to make our kids ministry programs a safe and fun learning environment. Please email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or give me a call letting me know how you would like to serve.
Here is a brief overview of what to expect this fall:
- Beginning September 14, children’s Sunday school classes will be offered for children age 2-6th grade. Classes will run from 9-10:15am.
- Kids Worship will be offered during the 10:30am worship hour for 4-year-olds and children in Kindergarten, and will be held in the blue room of the nursery wing. Signs will be posted to help you find your way. This is another big change for this ministry. If you have any questions, please contact me.
- First-sixth graders will have the privilege of worshiping with their families in the main Sanctuary during the 10:30am worship service. Kid’s bags will be provided during this worship hour.
- Our new Wednesday night program, for grades K-6, will be called “Camp Wednesday” and will meet from 6:30-8pm each week, starting September 10. Grades K-4 will meet in Parmerter, grades 5-6 will meet in the Fellowship Hall. The night will begin with an hour of crafts and games—a time for the kids to let out some energy and have fun with their friends. From 7:30-8pm, everyone will gather together around a campfire (a fake one!) to sing camp songs, have a devotional time, and pray together.
- Rehearsals for this year’s kids’ Christmas musical will start on Saturday, September 13, 9am-11am in Parmerter. If you haven’t already done so, there is still time to register your child! I am taking registrations right up to the first practice. Registration forms are available at the Pearce lobby reception desk, or you can download one here.
Thank you for your prayers and support of our kid’s ministry programs. Please contact me if you want to join the team!
There are three events that I would like to highlight this month:
- Sunday, May 11, at the 10:30am service, six of our youth from the 5th and 6th grade class will be making a public confession of their faith in Jesus through baptism. Please be praying for these youth, their walk with Jesus, and for this important decision they have made. Also be praying as friends and family will be coming to witness and celebrate with them in their commitment.
- VBS 2014 Jungle Safari: “Where Kids Explore the Nature of God” is July 14-18 at Pearce! Everyone is invited to come join our jungle trek and swing into action.
- VBS directors Andrea Gillie and Krys Merriam are in need of several Station Leaders to help lead the kids in Jaguar Junction, Zip-line Bible Time, Slug-a-bug Swamp, and the Watering Hole. To volunteer, stop by the VBS kiosk in the atrium or contact Andrea at email@example.com or Krys at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Crew Leader, volunteer, and child registration forms are available at the VBS kiosk in the atrium or you may download the forms from our website: pearcechurch.org.
- First Grade Bibles: We would like to present all first graders with a Bible during the combined 10am service on Sunday, June 22. If you have a child who is finishing first grade this June and is not involved in Pearce Sunday school, please make a note on the connection card (found in the pew rack) including his/her full name (the way you would like it to appear in your child’s Bible) by Sunday, June 1, or email that information to Pastor Kathy at email@example.com.
I would ask for your prayers for these three important events in the life of our children’s ministry at Pearce. Pray that our children would continue to grow in their faith journey with Jesus.
On Sunday, March 2, Robyn Englert from AGAPE gave a parent seminar on “Establishing Healthy Boundaries.” Boundaries help define us and our families. We are made for connection with others and healthy boundaries allow us to say yes and no as we seek to establish balance in life. She offered good food for thought. I want to emphasize her recommendation of a book by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend: Boundries with Kids. All of their books are insightful. We can be mentored in many ways, one of them being books. Mark your calendars that our next Parenting Seminar will be Sunday, June 1, at 9am. All parents, grandparents, and those who work with kids will find these seminars helpful and insightful.
On Wednesday, April 9, I would like to invite Pearce parents to join our Peace 4 Kids staff for a training seminar. Brenda Seaman, a pediatric nurse practitioner from the URMC Pediatric Sleep Clinic, and a wife and mother of two, will be leading the training seminar on the topic of children and sleep. From the time a child is born, sleep is an important part of their lives. The amount of sleep and quality of sleep that a child gets is very important for their health and development. Brenda will discuss why sleep is important and some of the most common sleep problems that children experience. Additionally, she will talk about how parents and caregivers can identify sleep problems and be sensitive to a child’s sleep needs. The seminar will begin at 6:30pm in the Friendship Center and will end no later than 8pm. Pearce Church has full programming running that evening, so there will be nursery provided as well as children’s programming. If interested, please contact either Lydia Monroe (firstname.lastname@example.org), Sue Smout (email@example.com) or Pastor Kathy (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 1, and let one of us know that you plan to attend.
I would like to thank the people who have stepped up to volunteer in our Children’s ministry programs. It is really exciting to see, as I do my rounds on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights, the kids and teachers that are committed to being here. The fellowship, teaching, and learning during these times are invaluable to the faith journey of our kids.
I trust that as we move together through this season of lent you will be filled with the peace and presences of Jesus, as together we reflect on what He has done for us.
2014 is here and I am excited about what is in store! I am looking forward to a great year of our kids connecting with each other, their families, and with Jesus. First, I want to say that four of us who are involved in children’s ministry here at Pearce went to a Children’s Pastor Conference in Orlando, FL the second week of January. We were with several thousand others who hold fast to the commitment of fine-tuning our skills and creating a networking system with each other. I am thankful for the opportunity to go, to learn, and to connect with others who want to see children grow in their faith journey with Jesus.
Please put the following dates on your calendar. They are milestones in the lives of our kids: the first is May 11, 2014. This is the youth baptism/membership Sunday. As we draw closer to this date, I am asking each young person who has a sense that God is calling them to be baptized and/or join the church in youth membership to fill out an information sheet with their testimony. Once I have the young person’s information/testimony sheet, they will be scheduled to have a meeting with one of the pastors.
If the young person is not ready to take these steps, I do not want them to feel pressured to do so. It is their journey with Jesus-some are ready now and some will be ready at another time in the future. On Wednesday, March 19, Pastor Wally will teach the 5th and 6th graders about Baptism and Communion. This is a great time of learning and an opportunity for the kids to connect with Pastor Wally.
The second date I need you to mark on your Calendars is July 14-18. This is our VBS week! This year’s theme is “Jungle Safari: Where Kids Explore the Nature of God!” The Bible verse theme is Psalm 86:9-12. More information will be coming soon. The director team has already starting meeting and planning.
Thanks for praying and marking these important dates on your calendars. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!
Christmas is just weeks away! I love the way we celebrate Christmas at Pearce. It seems everyone has an opportunity to be involved in some way. See if I missed any. If you sing, we have beautiful choirs you can be involved in. Play an instrument? The youth are giving of their talents on December 15. Do you cook? The kitchen is full of opportunities to serve. Our Christmas brunch is coming soon (Dec 15) and Jim Heek’s crew is helping with the reception at Family Story Hour. Do you want to find a way to give to others? Here is a great list of some things we have done and will do! We have supported Samaritans Christmas shoe box ministry, bought warm clothes for kids in the city, supported fair trade ministry, and we put together over 800 food baskets for Thanksgiving. The youth will be putting on a special Christmas party at Chili Commons, and there are monetary giving opportunities to Clear Blue Global Water Project and the Christmas Eve Compassion Fund Offering. Even with all this, the culmination for me is the celebration on Sundays, where we come together to worship and praise God. The music, scripture readings, prayers, and preaching brings us to a place of knowing and celebrating Jesus. We have so much to thank God for. Did I miss anything? What would you personally add?
In this month of Advent, I have committed to reading Luke’s Christmas story passage several times a week in my personal devotions. I have already discovered or rediscovered some great truths. I want to challenge you to read through Luke chapter 1 and 2 and notice the main characters response in prayer and praise when they meet Immanuel or when the Holy Spirt fills them. I am reminded that an encounter with the Living God brings us to a place of praise and worship.
Our annual Family Story Hour is December 18th. We will start out in Parmerter with songs, leading into Pastor Wally reading two Christmas stories to the children. Following the stories, everyone is invited to enjoy some refreshments in the Family Life Center. The Pearce Toy makers will have traditional wooden toys to give out as well. If you like to bake, I am still in need of Christmas cookies for the evening. Please sign up with me or at the reception desk if you would like to help bake some goodies. Overall, it is a fun family night! Another way we at Pearce celebrate the birth of our Savior together.
Have a Merry and Blessed Christmas!
Fall is well under way. We have had a great start to Sunday School, Kids’ Worship, Wednesday morning Kids’ Gym, and Wednesday night Kids’ Zone. I would like to highlight several things.
- Pearce has many faithful volunteers who are giving of their time each week to prepare lessons and teach our children.
- I have met a number of new people and families at Pearce since kick-off Sunday.
- Many parents attended our parenting seminar on the first day of Sunday School. Thank you Pastor Mike and Lydia, for your work on this! And many parents are now attending the Sticky Faith Adult Bible Fellowship. Thanks to Pastor Mike, for his work on this! He and Dr. Cheryl Repass are the lead teachers—what a blessing and wealth of information. It is not too late to join the class!
- Kids’ Worship is going well, after having changed it up a bit this fall. Children in Kindergarten-2nd grade are meeting downstairs in the primary wing, starting at the beginning of the 10:30 am worship service. The sign in/out process is much safer this year, and the room is better suited to their age. Laura Ciminelli, who works for P4K and also occasionally plays the bass in Pearce worship services, is the lead teacher in this ministry. Laura and her team are doing a great job!
There are a lot of “ordinary things” happening in the kids’ ministry at Pearce, and they have been happening since Pearce Church started over 150 years ago. But to God, these ministries are “extraordinary,” because of the way they encourage our children to live for Jesus. They can come here and connect with other kids who love Jesus, and learn about a God who created them and loves them deeply.
If you have any questions or ideas about kids’ ministry here at Pearce, please give me a call. I would welcome the opportunity to get together and chat.
Coming soon…Fall Into Fun, October 31, from 6:30-8:00 pm! Check the NEUs (News, Events & Updates) for more information, or check out the poster at the lobby reception desk!
August 16, 2013
Sunday School classes start up again on September 15. Yay! PLEASE NOTE: I am still in need of some teachers and helpers. If you are able and sense the leading from God that this is something He would want you to do, please contact me ASAP! (more…)
July 8, 2013
We just finished an amazing VBS at Pearce. In Wegman’s the other day, I chatted with a mom who told me what a great week her little girl had at Kingdom Rock. I met this family through our Kids’ Gym ministry. (I actually saw several kids from our Kids’ Gym ministry at VBS!) She thanked me for what we do here at Pearce for the children. We need to remember, we impact kids for a lifetime! Just today, I was reminded of how influencing our ministry to kids can be, not just to the children, but for the adult volunteers as well. (more…)
May 9, 2013
Some exciting events are coming soon in the life of the children’s ministry at Pearce. One event is our Youth Membership/Baptism Sunday. I just finished interviews with the 5th and 6th graders who are joining the church in youth membership and/or being baptized. It is such an honor to hear stories of their love for God, what they are learning and how they have come to know Jesus in a personal way. Below are some of the words they have expressed to me of their walk with Jesus in preparation for May 12, 2013. (more…)